Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Not exactly what I wanted to hear...but I'll take the good with the bad

First I'll start with the good news. We got an e-mail from our case worker at the agency today and she confirmed that our attorney was able to get permission from the US Embassy last week to do the DNA testing. She said testing was scheduled for this week sometime but didn't know the exact date, and apparently results usually take about 10 days. So, once we get confirmation that DNA is a match we can travel to Guatemala to finally meet Cameron face to face! Assuming all goes with with the DNA, our tentative plan is to travel in April, possibly the weekend after Easter but we have to check schedules and figure it all out. We'll know more soon though!

Then more good news, we found out the court interviews took place on February 20th already! Now we are just waiting on the written report from the social worker and we'll be out of family court! But here is where the bad news comes in...she said our case cannot proceed to PGN until we get Pre-Approval from the US Embassy, which apparently has been taking 4 weeks or longer AFTER they receive DNA results!! 4 WEEKS OR LONGER?!? Are you kidding me? So yet again it looks like we will be held up by the good old US Embassy. It's frustrating to say the least. I guess I should have expected this but it's always difficult to hear.


So that's the update on our case. I have to take the good news with the bad and look forward to hearing positive DNA results and start planning for our trip! 4 weeks always sounds so long but hopefully it will go by quickly. In the mean time I am slowly starting on the baby's room. I made valances this past weekend and I think I may start painting this weekend. I'll post pictures as I make progress but there's nothing much to look at yet! One little step at a time but it's something to pass the time here in hellish limbo-land!

5 Comments:

Blogger Dennise said...

That is great news!! As for preapproval, we got ours really quickly (10 days) so keep the faith.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Dennise - That's good to hear! I don't know if things have just slowed down that much since you got your pre-approval or if they are giving us worst-case-scenario time frames so we don't freak out if it DOES take that long. I'm praying that it goes more quickly so we can get our little guy home!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

Hi there,

Just found your blog and wanted to let you know that I feel your pain. I am so sorry that you are having these delays. IT STINKS!! My lawyers are supposed to try to reubmit my paperwork for the 6th time today for DNA Authorization today. That is if they actually get in. I am a NERVOUS WRECK!!! Just to let you know my guatemalan director told my friend last week that pre-approval time frames have really been picking up. Two weeks lately!!!! I pray this helps us make up time. I am so glad you got in last week. I was having to get new BM certifications. I waited so long (since Jan3) that some certified paperwork "expired!" Nice huh??

As far as your nerves about traveling... I've traveled there a couple of times. If you are staying at the Marriot it's very Americanized. No need for bottled water. Easy. Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions. I wouldn't worry too much. I remember on Savanah Saga she did a post about all the things she would bring for Savanah. Maybe that will help on that end.

:0) Angel
http://spaces.msn.com/faithsjourney/
angelweir@gmail.com

8:10 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Kristin, I'm so glad your case is moving! And I'll bet your agency is giving you "worst case scenario" timelines... Hang in there!!!!

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The US Embassy is worse that PGN these days. I would strongly encourage you to write to your senator-- let them know of all the delays and ask for help. Check out "Waiting for Ingrid" she has a list of one of her posts. Sorry it is taking so long. I so know how frustrating it can be.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home