Thursday, March 02, 2006

In a better mood

I am somewhat out of my funk today but not entirely. At least for now I’m trying to stay positive and just take things as they come. A very good friend of mine reminded me that as hard as it is to be missing out on a few months of my son’s life, we still have a whole lifetime of joys ahead of us, which is so true! When my husband and I were considering international adoption we knew full well that we wouldn’t be bringing home a newborn and we decided we were fine with that. I always said that they are small for such a short time and they would be our child for the rest of their lives with so much more to experience than just "baby stuff", and that was ok. It’s funny how you forget though, and suddenly decide you want what you thought you didn’t need. He’ll be home with us soon though, and I bet a year from now I will have mostly forgotten how hard things are right now. Time does heal, that much I know!

Anyway, on another subject there has been no news on our case this week. I just checked our credit card statement and we haven’t been charged for DNA yet so nothing has happened as of yet. Hopefully we’ll hear something soon! In my positive thinking mode, if it does take a long time before we can go for our visit trip that just means we’ll be that much closer to the pick-up trip! I know the wait between the two will be the worst yet so I guess it’s a blessing if that timeframe is shortened up a bit! See, the glass is half full again! ;)

And a few people have asked me how the baby’s room is going so I’ll mention that situation. Basically it isn’t going anywhere fast, I have not done any painting or sewing, but we have some furniture at least! We found an armoire and a dresser/changing table and now I’m on the quest for a crib. It’s amazing how few stores around my area actually carry cribs or have any set up to look at. Pretty much I have seen a couple at Target (but they aren’t in stock right now because they are remodeling) and Toys R Us/Geoffrey, but they didn’t have anything too exciting. I have looked at tons of cribs online but it’s so hard to know if you’ll like something from a 2X2 inch picture on my computer screen. Anybody have any assvice in the crib selection area? We don’t want to spend a lot because he’ll be in it for such a short time, that’s about my only criteria! If you have a brand/style to recommend I am open to suggestions!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristin I think you are doing marvelously with trying to keep your "glass half full"...hang in there girl!

As far as crib advice (or 'cot' as we call them in Australia). IMO you can go either of 2 ways, buy one of those more expensive, very stylish-match the rest of the furniture ones, specially if it converts later to a toddler bed (very handy as you can use the same bedding for much longer, and don't need to spend again until Cameron is 4 for a new big boy bed, mattress and bedding) or buy the most basic and less expensive crib, but with a decent sprung mattress, after all it's the bedding and room decorations that make the room most interesting to a little one, not the style of the crib. Of course both must be safety-approved (in Australia only approved ones are sold in baby shops anyway). After much deliberation, we went with the less expensive option (IVF ate into our finances!), after all we won't be needing it once Mason is too big for it, and haven't regreted it - it didn't cost much, looks just fine, cot is still in use, and we plan to keep Mason in it until he is 3 years old, then get him a big boy bed. I still think though, the convertable cribs, though a more expensive outlay in the beginning, are worth it later on; you get a bed out of it, but don't need to buy a new mattress or bedding.

happy crib hunting/deciding - at least this will keep your busy for a bit...

4:16 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

My dear, I'm glad you're feeling better!

I do really think you're in the worst time now, I think after you visit, it won't be as hard - at least it's not for us. We're strangely calm now that we see progress in our cases. It's the feeling that nothing's happening that drove me insane!

We got 2 white cribs from Costco.com, they shipped really fast to our house, and they cost $179 each. Shipping for 2 cribs and a changing table was about $60 I think... here's the link:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11108651&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

We built them and they look great! It converts to a toddler bed. Similar cribs at BRU go for much more... we were going to get a similar convertible crib from Target or WalMart, but I got tired of the run-around every time I tried to see if they had them in stock.

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin,

Congratulations on your upcoming adoption! I am so happy for you and Brian. I imagine this time is torture waiting for your baby to arrive. I hope it goes as fast as possible.

This may be a dumb question, but are you sure you want a crib? It's a pretty big expense, and if you're considering cosleeping, you may not need one. You could wait and see. We just love cosleeping. It has been wonderful for cuddling and bonding, not to mention getting some sleep. Just a thought.

Best wishes to you. You guys are going to be such great parents. Try to stay busy until baby comes home.

Colleen
(used to be Colleen95 on TTC1+yrs)

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home