Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A good sign?

I checked our credit card statement online tonight and I've never been so excited to see our balance go way up! Yep, our card was charged for DNA testing today, and I'm assuming that means things are finally moving again! Does anyone know if that means they have approval to do the DNA test or that the testing has actually been done? Or does it mean nothing and I'm getting my hopes up for nothing?!?

At any rate, I'm starting to get a little freaked out and nervous about planning our visit trip. First off I'm stressing over WHEN we can go and how long we can stay. I want to preserve as much vacation time as I can for time off after actually bringing Cameron home so we were thinking about just going for a Thursday-Sunday long weekend, but is that enough time? Will we get home and wish we had spent one or two more days? And then there's the fact that neither my husband or I have ever traveled outside of the country except to drive into Canada! This is a whole new experience, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't really nervous about it. We don't speak Spanish other than a few key words and phrases here and there (though I'm trying to learn more), and though I know a lot of the hotel staff will speak English it's still daunting to be in another country when you don't speak the native tongue. On top of that, I don't know what to bring to wear, I don't know what all we'll need for the baby, I don't know what to buy as gifts for the foster mom and her family...the list goes on and on! Someone PLEASE tell me I'm getting too worked up over all of this!

I guess I'd better find some time in the next week or so to re-read other blogger's past postings regarding their travel experiences and start getting my thoughts organized! So much to think about...aaagh!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

This is GREAT news!!!! You should have DNA done very soon, maybe tomorrow!!! In both of our cases, the charge went on the credit card, and DNA was done the next day. Someone in my agency asked whether the charge means imminent testing, and most people said yes, one lady responded that it took a week after the charge, but only b/c hers was done after the mudslides, and it was difficult for birthmother to get to Guatemala City.

Now, for visit trip - we had plenty of time with the tots over 4 days/3 nights! If we were only adopting one, maybe we could have "handled" another few days... but the hotel environment is not the easiest, so even with one, you'll be tired, and cranky. We did same as you to preserve vacation time, arrived 5 a.m. on a Friday, picked up the tots that morning, returned them on Monday morning.

And it's very easy getting there, the airport is small, and when you exit the baggage area, you'll see the airport exit, and chances are, your hotel has a shuttle that will meet you? If not, the hotel phones are on the right side, I believe.

It's a short ride from airport to the Westin, where we stayed. Marriott is not far from there, either, I think.

For clothes for ourselves, we brought two "nice" outfits, meaning long skirt, sandals and shirt, and slacks/shirt for me, khaki's and collared shirt for Jeff. For the tot, one each of the following for each day you have him: a onesie, sleeper and daytime outfit. Blanket/blankets (two would probably do it, foster mom might lend you hers, but best to bring your own). Washcloth for tot, perhaps a sling or carrier (snugli, etc.). Our hotel loaned us a stroller for free, but the carrier was handy too.

Oh, I could go on and on! Please e-mail me with specific questions if you want. And I don't think you're getting too worked up - there's a lot of planning and logistics that go into visiting! But it will all work out great, and even if you forget something, the hotel can help you get it from a store (we had a pharmacy that delivered to the hotel, bottled water and formula, diapers and wipes).

Yehhooooooo! You're moving now, I hope the rest of the process flies!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

forgot to add that we brought two "nice" outfits each for ourselves, but also more comfortable clothes (sweats, shorts) considering a lot of our time would be spent inside the room, or at the pool..

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, this is incredible, and I had NO idea that you get to take Cameron with you to the hotel! Oh my gosh, it brings tears to my eyes. I thought you got to just meet him at his foster home and stay for an hour or two.

As far as gifts for the family, I have no clue...maybe the agency can give you some tips.

Thrilled!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Tiff said...

You're getting there, girl!

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home