Friday, August 18, 2006

Mixed emotions

Ah so, another 2 weeks has flown by since my last post! I guess I have had other things keeping me occupied and haven't had much time to sit and type a coherent message. I can hardly believe it's been 6 weeks since Cameron became ours forever, how fast the time flies by! He's still doing great and definitely feels at home here with us. In fact I'm pretty sure he's figured out that he rules this household now! Ok, maybe not entirely, but of course so much of what we do revolves around him and his schedule now! Which is what happens when you have a baby I suspect, regardless of how that baby came into your life!

So I now have 2 weeks left before I go back to work and I'm having all kinds of mixed emotions about going back. I have always said I would go back to work, it really isn't financially an option for me to stay home. And if I'm being truly honest, I don't think being a SAHM is for me. I truly respect women who do stay home with their kids, it is definitely a full time job and takes a lot of patience and I would think creativity to keep the kids happy without losing your mind in the process! But for me, I think it would be too much to stay home full time. In all honesty I'm sort of looking forward to getting back to it...my mind feels kind of mushy from all the baby talk and playing and Sesame Street...but at the same time I feel guilty for leaving this sweet little boy who has come to trust and depend on me as his mommy. We do have a wonderful daycare lined up for him, one which I know he will like and I feel very confident in the facility and the staff there. I think he'll do fine and while those first couple days of separation will be the worst for both of us, I'm sure he will enjoy it. He loves being around other kids so this will be a good change from being with me and the dogs and cats all day! And my husband works goofy retail hours so he'll only be there 3-4 days a week and not full time, so that's a definite plus.

But still...people around me seem to be making me feel so guilty lately! I know they don't mean to but they do. I have had so many friends and aquantances ask me how I feel about going back to work soon and commenting on how hard that will be and asking me if I've ever considered staying home or working part time or whatever. I feel like saying to them, "What? No I never even THOUGHT about it, I'm so glad you gave me the idea! What the hell was I thinking?!" Of course I thought about it, long and hard, and I'm going back to work, does that make me a bad mother? I hope not. Any words of wisdom from working Mom's out there? How do you juggle career and family and not feel like you're coming up short on one end or the other? All I can do is give it a shot and see how it goes, right? Thank goodness for 2 more weeks!

7 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

I'm not ashamed to say I was glad to start back at work! I did it part time at first, and though I'm now full time, I work at home 2 days a week.

I was going NUTS being with the tots everyday. Nuts. I love them like crazy, but it is such hard, demanding work, and I am much better for them when I get a break from childcare!

The key for me is having daycare I trust, and it sounds like you have the same, so I hope it goes well for you!

Tell people that you are glad you can do BOTH things, work at being a wonderful mother AND working outside the home to bring home the bacon!

Good luck, I'll expect a report in 2 weeks' time, LOL!

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry no words of wisdom from me! I too am trying to juggle working outside of the home and bringing up a child (and justify it to some others).

I feel just like you, not sure if being a SAHM would be best for me or my son, not to mention that financially it isn't an option.

Luckily like you and Erica I have found daycare that I really like and trust. And luckily for me and Mason, he loves it there! I'm sure I couldn't give him half the stimulation he gets there. I also feel he is getting plenty of emotional support there also. Being an "only" child, I'm glad Mason is having daily interaction with other children. He already has best mates! ...and you should see the new things he learns every week!

I think I'm a way better mum for not having him with me 24/7, that's just the way it is.

Enjoy your last 2 weeks, and once you've set yourself up a nice routine, I'm sure work and daycare will work out just fine.

btw I look forward to your fortnightly updates - keep them coming Kristin.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Well-heeled mom said...

I am a working mom, too. At first it was hard, but I didn't really have a choice - I carry our health insurance and it isn't something I was willing to sacrifice. You will get the guilt trip, but do what is right for you. I made sure The Boy was in a daycare I could trust, and hi ho off to work I go.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Alleen said...

I just came across your blog. Congrats on your son! We are just waiting on Pink to bring our daughter home.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Dennise said...

I too must join here to give you support. I also work full time. It was hard at the begining, and is still hard. But it is what it is. I hate people that attempt to make us feel guilty. Working does not make you a bad mom.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't really "happy" to go back to work but I did look forward to some "normalcy". Being SAHM isn't for me either and I HAD to work since I'm the bread winner. Most families don't have the option of having a parent stay home and who is say it is worse for the kid? Kids are resilient. The main thing is for Cameron to have a strong attachment to you and be in a safe place were he will be loved and well cared for.
Sometimes, actually every Sunday, I can't wait to go back to work. My ass is tired from 2 full days with Savanna!
Oh, it'll take a couple of weeks for everyone to adjust to the change,not too long really.
You will be fine and so will Cameron. No need to let others opinions make you feel guilty. You know yourself and what you like and don't like. Go with it girl!

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Kristin, by my calculations you are back to work tomorrow? Hope Cameron adjusts without too much fussing, and you without too much guilt! Thinking of you.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home