Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A Surprise!

Just in case there was ever a doubt in my mind, today I was reminded of just how wonderful and generous the people I work with. My boss told me that she had picked up some ice cream bars during her errand running at lunchtime and we should all go down to the break room at around 2:30 for an afternoon snack. I really didn't think much of this because she's done this before, and it was a beautiful day today and perfect for ice cream. Anyway, the girls in my department and myself all headed down to the lunchroom at 2:30 and I was shocked to find that it was full of people! Almost everyone from my floor and a handfull that I work with from other departments, all there to surprise ME! They gave me a card full of money to help pay for our trip (I didn't think I was complaining about the airline ticket prices THAT much...) and there was a Dairy Queen cake to boot! It was amazing and I was so surprised, they really got me! I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't been so shocked I would have burst into tears, and after counting the money (discreetly, later on) I couldn't believe how generous everyone had been! So it was an awesome surprise and perfect timing since we have so much to buy for our trip right now!

Speaking of which, I am slowly accumulating all the things we need for the trip. I have known all along that kids aren't cheap, but after seeing how much the few necessities in my Target cart added up to I realized that my husband's beer money is going to be severely lessened very soon! ;) In case you didn't know, with the visit trip the foster mom only supplies us with the formula that we'll need while we have Cameron with us, but we have to have all the "baby stuff" like diapers and bottles, etc. I know we can purchase things once we are there if we need to, but I'm the type of person who likes to know that I have it all ahead of time so we don't have to scramble once we arrive. We'll be stressed enough as it is I think! But we're excited!!


In other news, we got the baby room all painted this weekend. We painted a bright green color which turned out a bit brighter than I had anticipated, but it's growing on me! It was a little obnoxious when there was nothing in the room to offset it, but now we have all the furniture in there and I have my valances on the windows and I like it a lot. My father will probably have a few words to say about it since he's a coloraphobe but he'll get over it!


And one more update since I haven't posted anything here for a while. Our official DNA paperwork has been submitted to the US Embassy in Guatemala so now we are awaiting pre-approval from them. We were told this will probably take about 3-4 weeks but I apparently the Embassy randomly investigates 20% of the cases that come through and if you're one of the lucky ones it takes a lot longer for pre-approval. I'm figuring with our luck so far we'll be one of those cases, so who knows how long this will take! At least things are moving along, slowly is better than not at all!


Just a little over a week and we're going to Guatemala!! Woo-hoo!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You deserve only the very best-- glad your co-workers could help you out!

Assvice-- don't buy the diapers in Guat-- not as good as the one's in the US (more sand papery, stiff). Quality isn't as good even though the brands are the same.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful of your co-workers - warms the heart doesn't it?! Enjoy your preparations....I say take everything you think you'll need JUST IN CASE!

Hey, how about sharing pics of Cameron's room - I'd love to see the work in progress - and love bright colors for kids rooms.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Well-heeled mom said...

Awesome friends. My boss did something similar for me, and as you well know, every little bit helps. It pretty much paid for our entire pickup trip!

Don't let the stress of packing put a damper on your trip. Everything you could possibly need is available there. My experience was that the people totally support adoption to the US and were willing to bend over backwards to help us out.

Enjoy Guatemala. It's beautiful this time of year!!

Karen

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is great about your co-workers. Even better that they were able to keep it a surprise.

I agree, are we going to get to see some pictures of the room? I bet it looks great.

One week.....holy cow.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can not belive how close the trip is. This is amazing.

Your co-workers sound like wonderful people and what a great send off for you! Oh, this is all so exciting!

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home