Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Another week flies by

I can't believe it's been a week since I wrote anything! I have been busy and I was out of town so I'll use that as my excuse. We had a nice Turkey day at my mother-in-law's. It was just Brian and I, his mom, aunt and sister for dinner so it was pretty low key. Then my brother-in-law, the girlfriend and our niece and nephew came over later so we all got to hang out. I ended up playing Hungry Hungry Hippo's with my almost 3yr old nephew for like an hour. I don't know if anyone remembers this game but it is not something that can sustain my attention for more than 5 minutes as an adult but he was having a good time. He kept saying "I win!" despite the fact that we weren't keeping score or anything. It was damn cute.

So then Friday through Sunday I spent the weekend at my parents' (they are about 2 hours south of us) since Brian had to work his crappy holiday weekend hours (retail really sucks) and my brother and sister-in-law had come in from San Francisco as well as my Aunt from up north so I wanted to see them. My brother just got married this past June and we spent a good part of Friday afternoon looking through about 5,000 wedding pictures with my new sister-in-law. I like looking at pictures but it started to get old after a while (honestly it seemed to take hours to look through them all), but I do remember being that excited about our wedding once upon a time so I dealt with it.

And of course our adoption was a hot topic of conversation since everyone is pretty excited about it. I still feel weird talking about it for some reason, even with my family, is that normal? Even though it's starting to feel more and more real every day it's still not the same as being pregnant and having that magical moment when you tell everyone you're expecting and you have a due date and it's a process that everyone understands. People are just so amazed when you tell them all the hoops you have to jump through in order to adopt. And of course everyone wants to know a time frame for which I just don't know. I have estimates but that's all I can offer, sorry folks! Actually, the questions are already kind of annoying me, I can't wait until we have had 3 or 4 months if just WAITING, I'm gonna go nuts!

So anyway, the only downside to the weekend was the fact that my SIL kept talking about her and my brother starting a family soon. Because my brother and SIL are both older than me, in their later 30's, I knew that if they wanted to have kids they weren't going to wait that long to start trying so I have been mentally preparing for this since the wedding. I guess I just didn't expect to be hearing about it so soon, nor did I expect to feel as jealous as I did especially considering it won't be long before we finally do have a family of our own. But hearing her discuss how she hopes the baby gets this trait from her and that trait from my brother brought on a twinge of sadness for what might have been. Don't get me wrong, we are extremely happy to be adopting and if we had been dead set on having a bio child then we would be going through IVF right now instead of working on dossier paperwork...but I still can't help feeling a little jealous. I DO hope they are able to get pregnant without any major drama as I wouldn't wish the hell we have been through on my worst enemy. I just hope it takes them a few months so that next Christmas will be all about our baby and he won't have to share the limelight with his cousin! I know that it's totally selfish of me but I don't care, it's what I want! (Have I mentioned I am really an evil person?)

So that's my update of the past week. Oh, and we have our home visit rescheduled for Friday so I have to get the house back in order! I spoke to our social worker on Sunday and she was only 33 weeks when her daughter was born last week! Sounds like baby is doing fine but will have to be in the hospital for a while because she is so small. But thankfully in the mean time she can come out and do the home visit and we can finally finish our home study! Woo-hoo! Things are moving along nicely, let's hope it's clear sailing after that!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dennise said...

Good luck on the homestudy. Let us know how it goes.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Sounds like you had a good holiday. I agree, Hungry Hungry Hippos is not exactly enthralling.

We had the same fears with my SIL/BIL. Last X-mas, a few weeks before we got our referral, they announced they were pregnant and due in late June. I was kinda bummed b/c we wanted Gabe to have the spotlight. Unfortunately, she miscarried and then I felt horrible about thinking that at all. I would much rather have shared the spotlight. Anyway, all that to say, I understand where you are coming from on that.

Good luck with the waiting questions. They can certainly be annoying.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home