Thursday, January 05, 2006

One step closer

We FINALLY got the finished/signed/notarized copy of our home study yesterday so this morning I was able to package up all my precious dossier documents and FedEx them out to the Consulate in Chicago! It was such a relief to get that stuff out of my house, I have had irrational fears that all of these letters, documents and seals we have collected would get water spilled on them or burn up in flames or something before we could send them!

Now that they are out of my hands however, I have been obsessively tracking the package (which has been picked up but apparently has gone nowhere as of 5pm today) and anxiously awaiting it's arrival tomorrow morning. Then I can begin obsessively checking the return air bill number to see if it has left the Consulate and arrived at the agency! And now of course I have an irrational fear that FedEx is going to lose my package or the address is wrong or I filled out the air bill wrong or one of our documents needs to be redone or SOMETHING bad will happen! I know, I'm a little psycho about this. Perhaps I should have just taken the day off of work to drive down to Chicago and drop the envelope off in person at the Consulate's office, wait for them to seal everything there (which probably takes a while but honestly I have no clue) and then drive it up to our agency's office in Michigan? Sounds like a valuable usage of my time. Have I mentioned that I obsess over things?

So anyway, we are finally one step closer to bringing our little boy home, or at least closer to getting the process started in Guatemala since everything has been at a dead standstill for 2 weeks now. I'm still a bit annoyed at our social worker for taking SO LONG to get our home study finished (our final meeting was December 2nd so it took a full month to get a final copy), but since our attorney in Guatemala was also unavailable until next week it didn't really make much difference in the long run anyway. Now the real waiting begins... :(

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can imagine that is a great big relief! but I can also picture you tracking that precious package!!!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Foxxy One said...

EAK!! Let the fun begin :) Hope the process is short and sweet.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I was the same way and wished I had driven the stuff to Chicago as well. Let me give you a valuable piece of information. The consulate doesn't always use your prepaid return airbill to send the stuff back to the agency. I found that out the hard way (twice). For some reason they use a different nummber. So don't make yourself crazy trying to track it going back to the agency. Let me guess, you are thinking "what's the point?". Um yeah, my thoughts exactly. I just wanted to spare you the agony I went through (twice).

Its too bad you didn't drive it to Chicago and then MI. We could have met up.

Anyways, hooray that it is finally out of your house. Now the ball can really get rolling. Now if they would only hurry up with your picture already. Sheesh!

5:45 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Congrats on that big step, I was the same way tracking my packages obsessively!

I hope you get pics and updates really soon, and things start cranking!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Update on my package - It's in Chicago and on the truck for delivery! Should be arriving shortly.

Kim - What? They don't even use the stupid air bill that I had to send? Yeah, what is the point! Do you remember how long it took for them to turn around the documents and send them to the agency? I'm hoping it doesn't take long but I don't have any idea. I just want to get this show on the road!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Yoli said...

Don't worry it will all turn out ok. We also had a SW who delayed to no end our homestudy. If you get anything in Spanish you do not understand let me know I can translate for you. Take care and Happy New Year.

Yoli
Adopting one little girl in China

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FedEx NEVER loses packages :) so don't worry. So exciting, eeek, I can barely stand it...you must just wish all the days away...even weekends!!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Kristin, I hope they turn your docs around quickly, I was lucky and had both secy of state and consulate turn things around fast. I hope you get pictures/news soon!

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh . . . what would adoptive parents do without FedEx tracking? I love FedEx.

Congratulations!

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home