Monday, January 09, 2006

Another check mark on the to-do list

We had our fingerprint appointment this morning, one more thing to say we have "complete"! The actual appointment was a piece of cake, the drive to downtown Milwaukee through heavy construction was not. I looked up how to get there on Mapquest (my favorite) and thought we were all set until we discovered the exit we needed was either closed or no longer there so we couldn't get off the highway where we expected to! We ended up taking the next exit which landed us in a not-so-friendly looking neighborhood, but thankfully we went right past a police station so we stopped there for directions! It turns out we weren't too far off track and we managed to find the place no problem with the officer's help, though I feel certain if we hadn't asked for directions we might still be driving around looking for the place! Thankfully we had left plenty early so even after our detour, a lot of swearing and a minor crying fit we managed to make it to our appointment with a few minutes to spare!

When we got home I had an e-mail in my inbox from the agency so of course I got really exciting thinking it was an update and picture...no such luck. Our case worker was just checking in and wanted to let us know that some of the staff are traveling down to Guatemala at the end of the month and hope to be able to get video and pictures of all the new babies that have been referred recently. She said hopefully we'll get some pictures of our son after they return in early February! Wait, did she say February?!? Oh yeah, she did. I realize that there probably aren't a lot of Guatemalan foster mothers running around with their digital cameras and e-mailing the attorney's every other day with new pictures but come on people, I can't wait until FEBRUARY!!! So anyway, I nicely e-mailed back and asked if there was any possibility that we would get something sooner and she reminded me for the 15th time that our attorney has been on vacation and was just back today so to be patient because they are probably backed up after the holidays. So ok, I'm being patient but that doesn't mean I have to like it! (Insert heavy sigh of frustration here.)

The good news is I can send a package to our son with the staff so at least that is something. I made him a little receiving blanket out of 2 pieces of flannel slapped together and topstitched and I want to send a disposable camera. Then if there is room in my zip-lock bag I may send a little outfit too, but I don't want to send too much since they have to hand carry this stuff. So I have to get this stuff together and sent out ASAP...just when I get one thing marked off the to-do list I add another! Typical!

Can anyone recommend a good book or two on Guatemalan culture and history? I would like to learn a little more about the place my son was born before I go there so I can understand and appreciate it more. Plus I figure I better do so now while I actually have the time because once that boy comes home I know I won't be doing much casual reading!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tiff said...

At least you did get there on time. I am sorry that you have to wait until Feb...that seems like a long time but it will be here before you know it! ....that is really cool that you can send him something when they go down there.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Kim Strahan said...

Hey Kristin I hope you remember me.. I was ttcwaldogirl on the 12+ board, anyways I occasionally lurk on the moving on to adoption site (as my sister just adopted and I keep trying to get her to post). What an incredible story about your son. I don't know what kind of baby gear you have, but I have a baby papasan that Harper only slept in once (my dog is a different story) and if you want it please email me at kimberly(dot)strahan@gmail.com and I will send it to you.

Again I could not be happier about your little guy! And what a pain about all the red tape.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wow, that sounds stressful but at least you got there and were fingerprinted. That is a bummer that you won't get a picture until the end of Feb. You must be going crazy!

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

February seems far away, but it will go fast...I know HOW frustrating! Hey, can you with the disposible camera send something that the foster mom can mail BACK to you. I don't know how it could work, like a FEdex courier pack in which it says bill recipient so she can just shove it in a fedex box....again, I know, they are not on every street corner like here....Just trying to think. I HAVE a book on Guatemala , but I think I left it at my old school. If /when I coem across it, I will send it, but the book store must have a lot...or even the internet.

I'll be looking for updates!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Betsy said...

February?! Lord love a duck!!! Way too long to wait. I feel your frustration. The good news is you will have something great to look forward to (ok, it was a good try though).

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home